Have you ever spotted anyone wearing a really great pair of shoes but wished they had styled it better? The best shoe can lose its impact with styling missteps. I thought it would be fun to list out some of Don’ts when it comes to shoe styling. The cardinal sins or the faux pas
Here are my top ones:
- Wearing pattern heels with prints. It’s best to avoid this ‘too busy’ look. Pattern heels work best with solid colors or the classic white shirt- blue jeans combo
- Wearing walking shoes with ankle socks
- Wearing stockings with peep toe heels (unless you have really great toes!)
- Wearing really extreme footwear/ super tall heels on weekdays. Do save these statement heels for weekends when you want to make a style statement.
- Wearing socks with evening wear
- Thigh high boots in our weather? Very wannabe.
- Letting your jeans fall over a cute pair of flats. Cuff the jeans.
- If you cannot walk in them. Do not buy them
- Busy prints work best with solid color shoes. Balance is everything.
- Wearing an over the top dress? Keep shoes toned down. With a low key look, wear a stand out shoe to add excitement
- Wearing stilettoes to garden parties.
- Stiletto is sexy, kitten heel is cute. Know what look you are aiming for.
- At the risk of sounding like Mummy () when wearing a really high hemline, go for a lower heel or flats to avoid showing too much leg.
- Watch hemlines while wearing flats. Trouser leg should end above or at the ankle. Dresses/ skirts should end above or at the knee
- A heavily layered look needs a thick heeled shoe and could be off balanced by a dainty shoe. Similarly when wearing a flimsy summer dress a thin strapped sandal would work better.
- Men must match the shoe to the belt. Like-wise the shoe- handbag combo works really well for women.