Shoe buying is a fine art that one can master with practice (but obviouslyJ) and by following these super simple pointers. Here goes…
- Feet swell over the course of the day so always try to go shoe shopping later in the day. As late as possible.
- Most of us have one foot that is larger than the other, so always try shoes on both feet.
- Don’t buy shoes that feel too tight and expect them to stretch to fit. Make sure there is enough space for your longest toe at the end of each shoe when you are standing up.
- When trying on shoes always walk in them to ensure they are comfortable. If you can’t walk in them, don’t buy them.
- Most of us have a tendency to spend big on shoes for special occasions and not as much on daily wear. It’s good to remember that you must invest in good quality shoes that you will be wearing daily for 8-10 hours rather than just the ones that will see light of day occasionally.
- As is true of any new relationship, there is also a “getting to know you” period when it comes to your new pair of shoes. This is called ‘breaking in’ and it is critical to do it right for a long & healthy relationship.
- Always buy in advance of when you need the new shoes so you have time to break them in properly.
- No matter what quality, most leather will be stiff when factory fresh. Over time, the uppers will mould to the shape of your foot giving you a perfect fit. Until that happens you will be prone to discomfort and blisters.
- Have you noticed how your feet never hurt in the shoe shop when trying the new shoes on? This is because you only wear them for a very short period of time and then take them off before any discomfort sets in. This is the single best strategy for breaking in your new shoes. Wear your shoes little and often to begin with.Wear them around the house or whilst sitting at your desk for a couple of hours daily to break them in.
- If the shoe is too snug then you can use a hair dryer on low heat to expand it. You can also insert socks as an added layer or a shoe shaper to stretch the shoe.
- The day you wear a new pair, ensure that you carry a spare pair in your bag, so you do not have to suffer shoe bites and discomfort all day.
And that ladies, should ensure a happily ever after 🙂